Here are seven tips to help you hire the right mover for your home.
Selecting a mover can be challenging in today’s fast-paced market, so today we have just a few tips to help you pick the right one:
1. Obtain and compare written estimates from multiple movers. This estimate should be based on a personal inspection of your household goods compared to an online or phone estimate. I can’t stress enough how important this is. A lot of movers try to avoid this step; don’t let them!
2. Make sure they’re licensed, registered, and insured. Interstate movers must be registered with a USDOT number and intrastate movers are regulated by state and local laws.
3. Check the mover’s complaint history. You can do this through the BBB, consumer protection agencies, or online review sites like Angie’s List and Glassdoor.
4. Prioritize your objectives. Whether it’s price, care of possession, or time of delivery, make sure the mover understands. The mover quoting the lowest price may not meet these other objectives.
5. Make sure to get a brochure. Interstate movers are required to provide a booklet from the federal government titled “Your Rights and Responsibilities When You Move.”
6. Conduct a walk-through. When you get to your new home, do this walk-through with the movers to ensure all boxes have been delivered and if there is any damage. You will then be presented with your final invoice and are expected to pay the bill. It may be higher than your estimate.
7. Do your research. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration has a “mover search” tool for up-to-date access to registered interstate movers and their complaint history. You can check it out here.
If you have other questions about moving or anything else related to real estate, don’t hesitate to reach out via phone or email. We look forward to hearing from you soon.